SparkHouse 3 is finally here and I’m so excited!!!
When I think back to my first time at SparkHouse it’s amazing how much has changed. SparkHouse was where the first idea for Trailblazers came about. Now here I am two years and three e-magazine issues later as a Community Builder and a chaperone for 3 of high school members of the current Trailblazers production team!
Since SparkHouse I’ve also become so much more involved with Education Reimagined and the Education Transformation Movement at large. I’ve attended and mentored at several conferences around the country, participated in numerous calls/video/social media chats, and even been able to teach a short-term high school course of my own. (Which was obviously un-traditional in nature.) Honestly, it wasn’t until talking to my roommate, who is a first-time learner at SparkHouse, that I realized the full extent of how many opportunities I’ve had since joining this community.
And now that I have become more involved, I’ve realized the importance of “preflecting” – reflecting before things being about my expectations, hopes, and goals for this experience – in order to have a greater take away after the gathering. So here it goes:
- Great conversations around learner-centered education
- A deeper connection to the language we use to describe the kind of work we do
- Be inspired by the amazing work young learners are already doing and the new ideas they bring to the table
- Members of Trailblazers will branch out and expand their networks
- We’ll develop new ideas about ways that Trailblazers could contribute to the Education Transformation Movement
- More young learners will step up and continue to grow their leadership capacities in this movement even beyond SparkHouse
- Have at least five new people sign up/express interest in contributing to Trailblazers
- Reach 50 followers on Trailblazers social media
- Find a new tool/activity/mindset that I can implement into my own leadership practices
- Inspire other learners to become more involved in the community/movement to transform the education system